Sunday, December 23, 2007

Side Notes

I thought I would give some down and dirty details about the two tubes and other experiences that are the most foreign to most people. (At least they were to me) And just describe my experiences with them.

The Catheter-
This was the tube that enabled me to pee whenever my body needed to, without my consent. Jonathan, my tech, frequently told me that I peed like a racehorse. (I've always been proud of that.) Sometimes I would feel like I really had to go to the restroom, but I knew the catheter took care of that involuntarily. I called in my nurse and asked her why this was, and she moved around the bags without actually moving the part of the tube that was in me, and I was instantly relieved.
*Moral of the story- If you have a catheter in and you feel like you have to pee, TELL YOUR NURSE! It is the most uncomfortable feeling when you can't move and you have to pee. Nurses will answer any question, no matter how silly you might think they are. They are great at that, its their job to take care of peoples bodies and inquisitive minds.

The Drainage Tube-
I thought this guy was cool, it protruded from my incision and carried all the blood and fluid that was collecting under the scar. Basically it was there to decrease infection, swelling, bruising... it's just a great tube to have around. Fun at parties. ANYWAYS, this tube leads to a little container that is like a mini accordion with a cap on the top. Technicians come in and drain it, and if you're squeamish I suggest you not look. Because it has blood in it. When my first dressing and this tube was removed it hurt for 3 seconds. It was a medium pain, but after those three seconds it was gone. They take it out fast, and honestly, the worst part of being in the hospital was the removal of the first dressing, because of the adhesive. It really sticks to you after 2 days.

Other Fluids:
I sweat a lot when I was in the hospital, and got back cramps. DO NOT hesitate to ask nurses for new linens, or for ice/heat packs. They are there to keep you from feeling yucky. I needed ice packs to keep my back from cramping. It only cramped because I am used to sleeping on my stomach rather than my back, and that was a tough transition for my body.

Last Note-
When in the hospital, do not play the hero. Don't ever think you're whining if you ask a nurse for pain medication. I found the best way to avoid feeling like a whiner is to call in the nurse and tell him/her exactly what hurts or how you are feeling. Then they will give you options and you can choose. It's really important to not let your pain get ahead of you. You are given strong medicine for a reason, and only you know when you hurt. Give your body time to be slow and heal. The PT's will keep you at the pace you need to be, just make sure you always say how you are feeling.
Light headed? Tell someone, it could be low blood count (like for me!)
Cold Sweat? Get the linens changed, it warms you up like a charm.
Hands swelling? Get the IV checked, it might have slid out a little.
Not very hungry? It's okay for the first few days, but make sure you make an effort to start getting solid food into your system.
Tomorrow I will write a list of things I brought that I was happy I had, and things that just took up space. Until then, so it goes.

No comments: